The Portfolio Manager is responsible for managing and servicing a portfolio of existing relationships, in conjunction with the Commercial Lending department and its officers. The Portfolio Manager is responsible for working with the senior Commercial Loan Officer on site, in managing an established, diversified loan, banking products and services portfolio consisting of large and complex commercial relationships. This includes assisting the Commercial Lender in identifying and marketing lending opportunities, coordinating and participating in loan structuring, underwriting, origination, closing, servicing; and engaging in full cycle relationship management, cross-selling Treasury Management and other bank products and services. The Portfolio Manager will evaluate and structure commercial and real estate based lending while maintaining the credit quality within the Bank’s accepted standards.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Primary responsibilities will include assisting the senior Commercial Lender on site, with all issues relating to portfolio management for assigned lending relationships
- Loan origination responsibilities.
- A loan portfolio may be assigned for management.
- Manage the credit transaction process from approval through post-closing.
- Review the loan documentation worksheet ensuring the completeness and accuracy on all ancillary information, LLC and operating agreements, CIP information, and company membership rosters. Collects client information and documentation as it relates to the credit/loan.
- Responsible for ensuring financial statements are collected, spread and analyzed, addressing industry risks, monitoring collateral requirements, loan structuring and pricing, underwriting, monitoring credit performance, closing additional commercial relationships including loans and other fee based services.
- Preparation, review and negotiation of documentation related to transactions, such as loan documents, guarantees, and security documents.
- Evaluation, booking and management of collateral relating to loan.
- Understand and be able to accurately and quickly complete documentation setup worksheets and all related forms
- Responsible for ordering and reviewing all title commitments to ensure the proper lien status and able to clear all title exceptions.
- Actively monitors, maintains, and services all aspects of assigned portfolio including all reporting requirements, covenant compliance and appropriateness of risk grades.
- Negotiates and structures each loan, determines feasibility, credit worthiness and assembles information to determine whether the relationship meets bank standards.
- Perform the analysis and underwriting for each loan request and ensures timely completion of credit presentation for new and renewing loans.
- Maintains up-to-date client files, manages renewals, and processes servicing requests such as collecting past due payments, exception clearing, responding to information inquiries and facilitating transfer and draw requests.
- Coordinate pre-closing activities, as well as closing responsibilities as needed
- Responsible for post loan approval details such as: all appraisal reports, documentation/file is complete and accurate, and any exceptions are reported to the senior lender.
- Prepares escrow closing package.
- Coordinates and gathers all closing figures, checks closing statement for accuracy and completeness.
- Administers all Construction Loan draws, working closely with the client owner and General Contractor, insuring compliance in requesting all loan draw statements.
- Make and review periodic progress inspections on construction loan projects.
- Works closely with the architect or owner/client’s representative to ensure the draw is accurate, and efficiently processed.
- Monitors current loans and credit lines to ensure compliance with terms.
- Handles all reporting on loans such as past dues, documentation and collateral exceptions, financial performance updates, portfolio profitability, risk grades, etc.
- Responsible for Past Due and Maturing Loan Reports.
- Maintain timely renewals of loan maturities.
- Presents loan requests to Credit/Loan Committee.
- Assisting with loan presentations.
- Responsible for expanding and building relationships with a high degree of resultant customer satisfaction.
- Demonstrates a strong sales and marketing ability to generate multiple new business relationships in accordance with annual goals.
- Able to effectively work with all departments of the bank but especially develop a close working relationship with the credit, appraisal and commercial loan operations departments.
- Actively markets and cross-sells company products and services.
- Work with the VP, Director of Treasury Management in cross-selling Treasury Management products/services to clients.
- Maintains current and in depth knowledge on banking and lending products, policies, procedures and regulatory requirements, as well as market and industry activities and trends.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Desired Skills And Experience
- Typically requires a Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Business or other related area.
- 3 to 5 years of directly related experience.
- Advanced knowledge of various types of loans, credit analysis, spreading and analyzing financial statements, risk analysis, credit scoring, loan documentation, etc.
- Strong working knowledge of banking products, services, policies, procedures and regulations.
- Solid understanding of lending/banking compliance rules, regulations and procedures.
- Strong sales, client product and relationship management skills.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities, except when assisting and providing guidance to less experienced personnel.
- Strong practical knowledge of commercial banking and lending products, policies, procedures, regulatory guidelines, and market trends.
- Developed critical thinking and decision making skills with the ability to interpret and analyze financial and credit information.
- Strong credit and underwriting knowledge.
- Excellent organizational skills with proven ability to prioritize and manage workload and to instill a sense of urgency in others as necessary to meet deadlines.
- Excellent external and internal customer service and relationship management skills with the ability to convey a positive attitude and maintain a high degree of confidentiality, diplomacy, tact and salesmanship.
- Excellent sales, negotiating and implementation skills and the ability to effectively promote all bank products and services.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with effective sales acumen.
- Solid technology skills, including ability to navigate and search related websites, and intermediate proficiency with Microsoft office (Excel, Office, Word) and banking software applications.
- Ability to handle multiple requests/customers with a high attention to detail and ability to take initiative when handling projects.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with all levels of Bank personnel.
- Ability to work with limited supervision.