Lead Pipe Fitter
Week 1: 11pm to 7am – Work 7 days (Wed – Tue.), off 1 day (Wed)
Week 2: 3pm to 11pm – Work 7 days (Th – W), off 2 days (Th & Fri)
Week 3: 7am to 3pm – Work 7 days (Sa – Fri), off 4 days (Sa – Tue.)
Week 4: Start rotation over at week 1 (11p to 7am)
Location: Hammond, Indiana
Responsible for leading and directing work. Maintain and install various types of pipelines, fittings, hydraulics, and pneumatics as required for Maintenance.
- Lead and direct work assignments.
- Accompany loss control representatives and building inspectors on tour of facility piping equipment.
- Order and maintain adequate inventories of replacement parts.
- Assist the Maintenance Planner in coordinating the preventive and predictive maintenance program.
- Lead and direct plant shutdowns in piping area.
- Lead other Maintenance personnel, as needed.
- Develop working procedures and material requirements for the job.
- Calculatedimensions and bends required for piping.
- Install bends, cuts, threads, and cut-off piping in shapes; fabricate pipe to particular requirements for the job.
- Start up and shut down equipment lines with Company and OSHA safety procedures.
- Inspect and maintain facility piping systems, heating systems, refrigeration & air conditioning systems, water treatment & sewer systems, and burners & heaters.
- Setup and operate various bending, threading and cut-off equipment.
- Install various types of insulation of pipe coverings; remove and dispose of old coverings in line with Company hazardous waste procedures, EPA and OSHA requirements.
- Make hydraulic pressure tests on piping installations. Check and adjust controls, gauges, and valves to achieve control flow or pressure.
- Post and maintain current records on safety checks and inspection dates for assigned equipment; including, but not limited to MainSaver.
- Notify Supervisor of potential piping systems dangers and corrective actions taken and/or documented.
- Plan and perform work requiring a thorough knowledge of piping theory and principles, specifications, properties of various materials, and principles of operation.
- Consults with Electrical personnel for electrical concerns/issues.
- Work with/assist project teams and outside contractors.
- Plan working procedure details to determine material or replacement needs and determine a logical approach to repair problems.
- Perform plant-wide piping maintenance, making adjustments as required.
- Follow blueprints, diagrams and service manuals to repair broken parts, realign and adjust mechanical components, and to dismantle machines to gain access to problem areas.
- Make sketches of parts and layouts. Design and construct adaptations of component parts or standard parts, as required.
- Maintain Company required performance and maintenance records for all piping equipment.
- Analyze mechanical and operational problems on assigned equipment; plan and perform corrective actions.
- Make necessary corrections and running adjustment to maintain maximum production and quality.
- Review production schedule and when equipment is not scheduled for manufacturing, change equipment to new sizes or perform scheduled maintenance.
- Test equipment to check operation prior to going back into production.
- Make preventative maintenance checks and reports.
- Notify department Supervisors of recurring equipment failures.
- Instruct and direct any maintenance trainee(s) assigned.
- Train other personnel on the Lead Person Piping job functions, as necessary.
- Maintain a safe work environment.
- Develop an understanding of the need for a team environment and commitment to high quality and productivity amongst assigned personnel.
- Actively participates in departmental Safety Audits.
- Ensure proper care/use of all Company tools and equipment.
- Actively supports and participates in Continuous Improvement (CI).
- Maintain a clean and safe work area(s).
- All other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
Essential Physical Requirments-
- Ability to lift 50+ lbs., standing, walking, climbing, bending, twisting, crouching, push/pull, reach above shoulders a great amount of time, hand/finger (manual) dexterity, and visual acuity (corrected) to read directions/ prints required.
- Overtime is required (as necessary)
- Call-ins are required (as necessary)
- All other requirements, as noted in the Job Demand Profile.
Education and Experience-
- Certified pipe welder req’d.
- High School Diploma or GED req’d.
- 5-7 yrs pipe-fitting & welding work experience req’d.
- Strong mechanical systems knowledge along with demonstrated knowledge and ability in welding.
- Industrial mechanical skills in general plant production maintenance and repair.
- Ability to read/interpret blue prints.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and written.
- High degree of precision working with minimum tolerances required.