Website Talent Strategy
We are looking for an experienced software engineer with a track record of creating high-quality software. You should have solid experience in multiple languages. However, in order to be a good fit for Mutually Human, you should be flexible, adaptable, and willing to learn new frameworks, technologies, languages, and techniques so you can adapt to the needs of our clients.
- Architect and create high-quality software (mainly web and mobile applications) that meets the needs of its users and helps organizations reach their goals.
- Collaborate with the Product Manager, Designer, and other Developers to ensure successful delivery of quality software to our clients.
- Willing to learn new frameworks, technologies, languages, and techniques so that you are able to adapt to the changing needs of our clients.
- Automate tests to the extent necessary to maintain systems that are easy to understand and change.
- Quickly and efficiently learn our client’s domain, existing systems, strategy, and user needs.
- Deliver solutions for our clients within the time and budget constraints of the project. We look to our developers to provide feedback and solutions to ensure we are investing in the right features for our clients to achieve their goals.
What types of projects do we work on?
We typically help clients with three different types of projects:
- New Product Development: Whether it is a startup or a big company, we work with clients to bring new software applications to the market. Oftentimes, these are full service projects where we build a Mutually Human project team of Product Management, UX/UI design, and 1 to 5 developers.
- Digital transformation: We pride ourselves in being able to help companies reach their business goals by implementing technology. We work with many clients to create software that will help them run their internal process more efficiently or more accurately. We’ll see clients that have been using off the shelf software, that get to a point where they need to build software that is tailored to their unique business needs. These types of projects are also typically full service projects.
- Staff augmentation: The third type of engagement we see is staff augmentation. We have some large clients that are in need of additional expertise or bandwidth. For these projects 1 or more members of our product, design, and development will join the client’s product team to help deliver software.
We love variety.
One of the reasons many of us love working at Mutually Human (and many have been here for years) is because of the variety of work we get to do. Whether it's working on an app for the environmental controls for an egg laying chicken farm or building a new app focused on helping people care for their aging loved ones, we get the opportunity to see and help solve interesting challenges across many different industries.
You will not only have the opportunity to be exposed to different industries with unique needs, but also get exposure across different technology stacks. For the projects we build from scratch, we will often reach for Ruby on Rails with React frontend framework. However, we also work on projects with specific tech stack requirements or an existing code base. Therefore our development team get the opportunity to work in a variety of languages and frameworks based on individual project needs.
Our engineers are chameleons, comfortable talking design with designers, business with business-people, and code with coders. We're code-acrobats, jumping between languages, platforms, and toolchains. To work here, you don't have to know any particular languages, but you should be experienced picking up new ones on the fly.
What do we look for in our humans?
At Mutually Human, we have 6 “Bes”. These are behaviors we have found are really important for the work we do. Humans that exhibit these behaviors are people that are more likely to find success and happiness at Mutually Human. If these descriptions sound like you, we want to hear from you!
- Be Human: Everyone we work with — fellow Humans, our clients, and users of the software we build — are humans first. We are building technology not just for the sake of building innovative technology, but because it helps humans. We strive to be human in everything we do, including the way we treat each other, our clients, and the way we think about the humans that will use the software we create. We are here to help our clients reach their business goals, and help solve real problems with technology.
- Be Growing: In an ever-evolving business, in a rapidly-changing industry, standing still is not an option. We don’t settle for the status quo, because we know there’s a better way just ahead. Every Human takes responsibility for their professional and personal growth. We help others grow by teaching and sharing our knowledge. We take risks, embrace failure, push ourselves outside of our comfort zones and support one another as we all reach forward.
- Be Collaborative: We recognize that doing our best work often requires collaboration with others. We don’t let our pride prevent us from asking for help, and we jump at the chance to help someone else. As individuals we are confident. But as a team, we are unstoppable. Our diverse perspectives allow us to find a root cause, evaluate multiple options, and choose the best way forward.
- Be Pragmatic: The number of good ideas far exceeds the time and budget available to execute on them. We owe it to ourselves and our clients to be good stewards of the resources available and spend our time wisely. We can't make perfect the enemy of the good. The work we do must always be balanced against the value it provides.
- Be Positive: We are often faced with new challenges, and we approach them with a positive, can-do attitude. We aren't blind to the obstacles that exist, but we choose to focus on how we can overcome them. In fact, difficult problems energize us. We trust that everyone we work with is motivated by noble intent, and we approach disagreements with the goal of sharing and understanding.
- Be All In: Building complex software requires a team that trusts each other to get the job done. We are committed to doing our best for each other, our clients, and the people who use the software we create. We make our team strong by doing what we say. We prize the success of the team above the success of the individual. As we grow, we are looking for people who want to grow with us.
What is the day in the life of a developer?
Our developers are typically on one main project. There are times a developer might have one main project and a smaller project. A project will typically have a couple standing meetings each week (internal planning and external client meetings). We typically have an hour a week booked for an internal meeting or fun activity. Aside from that, the majority of a developer's time is spent focused on development.
How long do developers work on a single project?
The length of a project at Mutually Human can range from 3 months to multiple years. However, one of the advantages of working at a consultancy like Mutually Human is the variety of work we get to do. Therefore, we offer project rotation for developers. For those that have worked on a project for 9 to 12 months, we look for opportunities to rotate among the development team in order to continue to provide new and interesting project exposure.