Website Talent Strategy
Product Design Engineer
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrated ability to plan and conduct technical tasks to solve engineering problems using strong analytical and experimental skills.
- Ability to simultaneously manage multiple tasks with minimal supervision and a focus on a robust, timely and cost-effective delivery.
- Design products and product modifications with sound engineering principles to meet both technical specifications and necessary certification requirements.
- Manage projects in a cross functional environment as a project manager.
- Provide technical assistance to engineers and others for projects or product lines.
- Create and maintain necessary technical instructions and engineering specifications.
- Create, maintain, and verify the accuracy of product Bills of Materials.
- Coordinate activities in a test lab environment including equipment design, test plan development, prototype builds, data collection, evaluation of hardware and data, and create technical reports to summarize findings.
- Ability to troubleshoot Production, Quality and Technical issues.
- Generate engineering change requests and process through to implementation.
- Create component prints and coordinate efforts with procurement to identify qualified suppliers
- Provide application and technical assistance when necessary.
- Work with program management to develop new product specifications and development plans, including budgetary estimates for project completion.
- Specify testing requirements necessary for design qualification.
- Engineering responsibilities require on-site work. Limited remote work is available.
- Capable of domestic and international travel to supplier and customer locations.
- Must be a citizen United States.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering from ABET accredited university required. Advanced Degree is a plus.
- 5+ years of experience in a role responsible for mechanical engineering design preferred.
- Experience with PC based software, Microsoft Office Suite literacy is mandatory (particularly Word and Excel). SolidWorks or other 3-D CAD platform experience is desirable, as is FEA and CFD experience. The ability to write computer simulations is a plus.
- Demonstrated mechanical and dynamic equipment design capability. Experience in the application of Thermodynamics, Fluid Mechanics and Material Selection is desired.
- Experience in design and development of rotating and/or reciprocating equipment is desired.
- Knowledge of design using a range of machining and metal casting processes a plus.